Pages

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Tuesday Tutorial ~ hand painted totes

I am not sure this classifies as a tutorial. Rather step-by-step pics on some stuff I have done.

I decided to try my hand at painting as it was one of the few things I hadn't attempted yet. As I am very fabrics oriented I of course got fabric paints and some hand totes to paint on.


They are just basic canvas totes. (I cheated and got them from Walmart. But I was making them as gifts and needed them rather soonish.)


The first one I did was a horse head (for a horse lover friend.) I started with drawing the basic lines with a disappearing ink.


Then I added more detailed lines with the wash out pen.


Then I got out the paints. I used Tulip soft fabric paints.


I added the basic lined and shading with black.


Then I used brown for the mane and added dimension.


Went back with the black and continued to fill in.


Then I added some gold into the mane and as other highlighting. You can't really see it in the picture. But it is there.


Here it is without the blue and purple lines. I was happy with how it turned out.


Next I had a theatre friend whom I was making one for. So I did one with drama faces on it.

For this one I printed off the faces and used a scalpel to cut it out and then traced them onto the bag.


Both faces traced on.


Then I free handed her name in.


Painted it all with black.


Added gold shading.


A closer up on the shading.


That was my adventure into painting. Haven't done anything since, but I want to. One day I shall find time again.

I enjoyed it.

That's all for now.

Toodles

No comments: