Monday, November 28, 2011

White Christmas is finished! Well, almost...

The show closed last week! 

I survived and was able to get all of the costumes finished and onstage for opening. The show ran well and there were no major costuming emergencies. At least nothing that I couldn't handle. 

I was going to do a post taking you from design-to-stage but I don't have any pictures for that. I do have all my design sketches that I was going to scan, but the scanner is connected to a different computer that is not on. Thus, no design sketches...

I was running around so hectically during the show that I really did not take any pictures. 

Luckily for me the rest of the cast had more time and cameras on their hands. We also had a professional photographer come and take pictures. With a bit of searching I have found pictures from other people and stolen them to post.

Before you see the pictures I must first say thanks to Bob Phelan and Clarissa Light, the two whom I stole most of these photos from.

"White Christmas" with the whole cast. 
photo by Bob Phelan


"I Love a Piano" the tap number for which I had to find 15 pairs of tap shoes size 6w to 14m
photo by Bob Phelan

Here is a closer up on the costumes. All the girls wore black satin pants (note to self, black costume satin is a pain to sew and I will never attempt that again.) Half of them wore black and white stripped shirts and the other half wore solid black shirts. They all had black top hats with silver bands and red sequined sashes. The guys had silver top hats, black pants, white shirts and red sequin bow ties.
photo stolen from Clarissa Light

Then there was "Blue Skies."
photo by Bob Phelan

The guys and gals all had blue vests, yellow shirts, and white pants/shorts. They also had matching white fedoras. The guys were only able to wear their white pants for a few of the performances. Most nights they wore black pants as I was unable to find white pants big enough for one of the dancers. So for a few nights when he was sick the rest of the guys wore their white pants.
photo stolen from Clarissa Light

The very first dance number was "Let Yourself Go."
photo stolen from Clarissa Light

 I haven't been able to find a group picture of this number yet. The girls were all in pink and green polka dot dresses with hair bows.
photo stolen from Clarissa Light

I personally think these were some of my favorite costumes to do. They made quite a splash when they danced onstage every night.
photo stolen from Clarissa Light

All of the girls were quite adorable in all their outfits.
photo stolen from Clarissa Light

The guys wore pink bow ties and green vests to match the girls. I wish I could find a picture of Bob and Phil. One had a green vest and pink bow tie while the other had a pink vest and green bow tie. Both had cream jackets and straw skimmers.
photo stolen from Clarissa Light

All of the dance ensemble girls had to curl their hair every night. This meant two weeks of sleeping in sponge curlers every night. They also all had to do 1950's make-up which was way more then any of them had worn in all their life. 

While they said they didn't mind all the trouble I know what they really were thinking....
At least they all looked amazing onstage and really did enjoy it!

"I do love a man in uniform." (especially if I get to put him in it.)
photo by Bob Phelan

Yes, I know that those are just military jumpsuits and not dress uniforms... they wore those later.
photo by Bob Phelan

Some of the costumes were not terrible complicated...
photo by Bob Phelan

Night gowns are normally rather simple affairs. The most complicated part of this costume was the fact that we only had 10 second to get her out of one outfit and into this one.
photo by Bob Phelan

"Falling Out of Love Can Be Fun."
photo by Bob Phelan

The iconic "Sisters" dresses
photo by Bob Phelan

And of course the guys had to try their hand at this number
photo by Bob Phelan

"Love You Didn't Do Right By Me."
photo by Bob Phelan

Broadway Sue!
photo by Bob Phelan

Lastly, my favorite costumes... "Ding Dong, We're Bells!"
This was the first time that I had used satin, gold lame, garland, sequins and just about anything else imaginable in two costumes. They were a lot of fun to make!

The whole show had 180+ costumes in it with more than 30 costume changes backstage all of which had to be carefully choreographed so as not to impede set changes.

Of those 180+ costumes I had to make 50+ from scratch. Of the remaining 130 I had to alter or make repairs on 100+. There was barely a costume onstage that I had not done some sewing on.

I did all of that between October 1st and November 10th. So, in about 40 days... that means roughly 4.5 costumes a day. I had started designing and purchasing some fabric in the beginning of September, but I did not get a cast list till Sept 28th and casts measurements till October 1st. Thus I could not officially start costume construction and or assignment till then. Of course once you finally get the casts measurements your designs will change to fit the people. 

It was stressful and I was running on about 4 or 5 hours of sleep on a good night (3 or 4 was more common.) But I enjoyed it immensely and learned a lot. After that show I am ready to tackle anything... well almost.
Well, that is all for now. The show is over and I have almost finished striking all of the costumes and getting them returned to their various location. 

Till later.

No comments: