Pages

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

1950's tilt topper

So I made a 1950's tilt hat today using an old vinyl record. I used boiling water to heat and shape the hat.

But before I share the hat I want to exclaim over some great patterns and vintage notions that I got for really cheap at an estate sale. I was got several boxes of patterns and a box of belt buckles and a bunch of hat buckram. 

So many patterns!

There were so many patterns from the 80's and 90's that I am not sure what I will do with, but there was a number of patterns from the 50's and 60's that I really love.

It shall take me quite a while to sort through and organize these patterns.

There were massive belts buckles and small belt buckles.

 I am looking forwards to using these and making belts. Belts and hats are two of my favorite accessories.

So, on to the hat. I made it with from a vinyl record as the base.

 I boiled hot water and dumped that over it to soften it up. I then shaped the hat with my fingers. I covered the record title with a giant flower and gave it a finishing touch with some greenery and netting.



Overall I like the effect and want to wear this with a little 1950's looking black dress. I shall try to take pictures when I get the outfit around.

That's all for now.

No comments: