Pages

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Seussical the Musical

Seussical the Musical has come to the completion of its run.

We closed last weekend and had strike last Monday. All the costumes have been cleaned and stored, the set has been dismantled and the lighting taken down.

Sigh, I suppose all good things must come to an end.

My job with this production was assistant costumer and wardrobe manager. I ran the show and did all the costume changes. It was a lot of fun and was great getting to work with all of the wonderful people here.

As a part of my job I did the hair for several of the girls in the play. These lovely ladies were gracious enough to allow me to take pictured of their hair to share.

Let me first explain about the play.

Seussical is a musical based on the works of Dr. Seuss. It has about 17 (I think that is what we counted) books of Dr. Seuss represented.

Some of the main characters were Horton, the Cat in the Hat, Gertrude, Maize, the Major of Whoville and his wife, Kanga the Sour Kangaroo, and others.

The main ensembles were the jungle (this includes the bird girls and Wickershams) and the Whos. There were other groups also but those were the main ones.

Anyhow, the jungle was set in 1920's from the costuming perspective. This meant 1920's  costumes, makeup, and hair.
The popular hair of the 1920's was the short bob.  Pretty much all of the young ladies had beautiful long hair. We were not going to require them to all cut their hair. If they wanted to the could but it was not a requirement. The young lady playing Maize was the only one who decided to cut her hair. This left all of the other ladies with long hair that needed to be put up. This was just fine with me as I love doing hair. Several of the ladies were able to do their hair themselves, leaving only a few for me to do.

Here are the pictures that I took of a few of the completed hair styles. I apologize for their poor quality, they were snapped quickly as we hurriedly prepared to go onstage.


This lovely lady curled her hair every night so that it would go up easily. Her hair is medium length to start with.

I just divided the hair into segments and curled them into loose pin curls at the nap of her neck. I believe there were about 8 pin curls all together.


This next beautiful young lady has some of the prettiest hair that I have ever worked with. It is so thick and massive. It was a lot of fun to work with. Although the massiveness did provide some challenge as to where to put it all.


I started by pulling most of it up and making a small bun at the nap of her neck as a base to build on.


I then started dividing it into segments, twisting it and adding it to the bun.


Unfortunately I do not have any pictures of the finished hair. I thought I did, but they were not on the camera. That is what happens in a rushed dressing room.

Finally, this young lady had long, straight blond hair. So that the hair would work better she put some curl into it using a curling iron before she came in.

To start I divided her hair into four segments. I then twisted them into small buns (pin curls) at the nap of her neck.




As you can see the buns in the middle had the most hair in them and the two on the sides were much smaller.

That is all of the pictures that I have from the ladies hair that I did.

I shall try and see if I can get a hold of pictures of the costumes to post possibly.

No comments: